National Advisory Council Scholarship
National Advisory Council has established a scholarship for veterans who do not qualify for VA or Military Benefits. To apply, you must be a student in good standing with DSU and you must submit your DD-214 and an essay stating your plans and why you deserve the scholarship to Steve Roberts, Veterans Coordinator, via email or directly to his office in the Holland Building.
May 1st Deadline.
Washington County Republican Women “Embracing Our Heroes” Scholarship
Sponsors scholarships for the National Guard, Reservists, or Veterans (or spouses of veterans), with priority given to members of the 222nd. Student must hold a 3.0 GPA and demonstrate “financial need”.
April 15th deadline.
Purple Heart Waiver
This is a state waiver for any Utah resident military service personnel who can document receipt of a Purple Heart. Must apply through Steve Roberts, Veterans Coordinator, through submission of your DD-214. This can waive up to full tuition, and can be used if you choose to go part-time, as it will be prorated down to your enrollment.
National Guard Waiver
State Waivers and Tuition Assistance is available through the National Guard. For more information and applications see the National Guard Website.
Yellow Ribbon Matching Military Waiver
Dixie State University is a Yellow Ribbon school. The Yellow Ribbon program is used for non-resident student Veterans that meet the requirement set by the VA listed below. The Yellow Ribbon program is limited at Dixie State University. Availability is on a first come first service basis for Veteran students that meet all requirements.
Example of how it works:
Your non-resident semester tuition & fees = $6,603.00, the in-state tuition and fees rate is $2,310.00. The difference between non-resident and the in-state rate is $4,293.00. DSU Yellow ribbon amount will pay up to $2,500.00, not to exceed half of the difference between non-resident and in-state rates. In addition to paying the in-state rate of $2,310.00, VA will match DSU’s Yellow Ribbon rate of up to $2,500.00 and the student will owe the remaining balance, if any.
The calculation is for demonstration purposes only and are not actual amounts.
Who is Eligible?
- POST 9/11 Chapter 33 100% of the following
- Veterans and their spouses using transferred entitlement
- ToE children if the sponsor is eligible at the 100% benefit level, regardless of sponsor’s active duty status
Who is NOT eligible?
- Active duty members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon
- Spouses of active duty members are not eligible
See the Veterans Website for more details.
Veterans Tuition Gap
The Veterans Tuition Gap Program (VeT Gap) is a state funded grant to provide tuition assistance to help veterans complete their first Bachelor’s degree.
Vet Gap provides tuition assistance up to full tuition for students in the final year of their program. Contact Steve Roberts, Veterans Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- You must be a Utah resident
- You must be enrolled at least half-time
- You must be in the final year of your first bachelor’s degree program
- You must have exhausted your post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter33)
- You must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward your bachelor’s degree
- Apply soon, contact the Veteran Student Affairs Office to get on the “first come first serve” VeT Gap list