You are required to provide your parent’s income information until you meet the
Department of Education’s criteria to become an independent student. You must be
able to answer ‘Yes’ to one of the following items to be deemed independent from your
• 24 years of age (born before January 1, 1995 (for the 2018-19 award year)
• Married as of the date you first began to fill out the FAFSA
• At the beginning of the 2018-19 school year, will be working on a master’s or
doctorate program (MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD or graduate certificate). Note:
Dixie State University does not currently offer any of these types of degrees.
• Have dependents other than your spouse
• You are an Orphan or Ward of the Court
• You are a Veteran of US Armed Forces
• Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you
between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019?
• Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you
and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through
June 30, 2019?
• At the time you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in
foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
• Are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your
state of legal residence?
• Are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state
of legal residence?
• At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did your high school or school district
homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was
• At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did the director of an emergency shelter or
transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and
Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was
• At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did the director of a runaway of homeless
youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an
unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of